STILLWELL FAMILY CONNECTION
Stillwell - William 25, Carpenter, wife Martha 22, child Martha 2; Independent; ship 'Garland'
From 'Some Framtier Families' - I. Mitford-Barberton & V. White
'William Stillwell born Sept. 4. 1795. He was an Independent Settler who came to South Africa in the 'Garland' in 1820 with his wife, Martha (born Dove) and child Martha Louisa aged 2. Martha Dove b. 20 Feb 1798; m. 24 Aug. 1817 at St. George's Church, Hanover Square, London
William Stillwell, shown on the shipping lists as 25 years old (i.e. born in 1795 and shown on the family tree as born on 4.9.1795; however, IGI source gives a date of birth for William as 4.9.1785 in Fetcham, Surrey, son of James and Mary [Source IGI v.402]. He may possibly have deducted the ten years at the time of immigration or there is a coincidence over the birthday.
Martha Dove was born on 20.2.1798 in London, christened 18.3.1798 at St Clement Danes, Westminster, London, daughter of Richard and Ann Dove; married William 34.8.1817.
Information from Ernest Freemantle Family:
- Martha Louisa Stillwell b. 21 Oct. 1818 in London. [or 2.10.1818] This child was run over by a cab in Cape Town, became a cripple and was sent back to London where she died in 1835
- Elizabeth Anne Stillwell, b. 11 April 1822 at Cape Town. She married George Freemantle, son of Richard Freemantle Snr Settler in Grahamstown 14 April 1840. They had a numerous family including Ernest Freemantle who provided this information. George Freemantle died in Kimberley 15 Jan 1889.
- Marrianne Stillwell, b. 18 April 1824 at Cape Town; Mar. at Grahamstown to Phillip Penny 13 Apr 1843. He died in Johannesburg. Numerous family.
- Frances Caroline Stillwell, b. Cape Town 2 Feb. 1826. Mar. Grahamstown to Anthony Frank. He died at Queenstown 9 Aug. 1876. 4 children
- George William Warren Stillwell, b. 29 April 1829 at Rondebosch, Cape. Mar. Lucy Pankhurst at Grahamstown. He died at Glenthorn, Queenstown 20 Sept. 1904
- Emily Johnson Stillwell, b. Grahamstown 12 June 1831. Mar. Thomas Quinn at Grahamstown and died at Fort Beaufort 3 Nov. 1910. No family.
- Albert Morgan Stillwell (Certificate shows Abblot Morgan) b. Grahamstown 18 Feb. 1833. Mar. Sarah Cory at Queenstown. Numerous family.
- William Roberts Stillwell, b. Grahamstown 25 Oct. 1835. Mar. Susanna Smith Hartley in 1865 . He died at Johannesburg 31 Mar. 1895. Numerous family
- Possibly another called Havelock ? [This name was (possibly - reference mislaid) reflected on Death or other certificate. And IGI records a Henry Havelock Cawood b.20.4.1864 in Kingwilliamstown, christened 8.5.1864, so it seems the name may have been a family one]
(a) Extract from Harriet Emma Tucker's (nee Goulding) birthday book: Edith S. Stillwell became Mrs C. McKay on 3rd January, (?)
(b) 'Garland' departed from London Dec. 1819; reached Table Bay March 1820; Simon's Bay 1820
(c) The name is from the literal translation - 'Still well'.
(d) Susanna Smith Hartley was born on 2.3.1845 in Tarka Dist. Daughter of William Hartley and Mary Cawood, married W.R.Stillwell in Queenstown in 1865.